Sunday, April 1, 2012

Conference Lessons

Conference weekend just concluded, which gave many wonderful quotes and stuff to apply to my life (hence the reason for me typing right now) After Conference concluded, i figured i'd get a nice nap in and get to typing. Instead, after having my 5th ot 6th consecutive failed nap, i figure i better get started before i start to forget things.

For the last few years, i've done much better at watching all the sessions of Conference to get the full experience. It's a great time to do a self-check on myself and my own personal progress. Some of the talks given every session seem to be like personally made for me, like they're looking me straight in the eye through the tv going, "Ok Peter...here's some answers from the Lord that He knew you needed." It gives me a good reminder that the Lord is very aware of my life and where i want to go with it, even though in my weak times i fail to see that.

At first when i thought of making this, i wanted to specifically focus on a couple talks, but after finishing all the talks, there were just too many applicable ones to focus on just a couple. But some did hit close...

-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland talked about the parable about the laborers in the vineyard and the lesson to be happy when others are given blessings and how it doesn't reflect on us.This is the one where i turned to my roommates and said, "Yeah...this one is for me". With all the other people i know and see who are having success with dating and/or getting engaged, i sneer and think that i couldn't be happy for them because that is the one thing that i want so badly at this time. Elder Holland helped me realize that i've been showing classic cases of envy for those that are my friends. Suffice to say, i felt super small. It's gonna be a challenge to fix immediately, but i can do it with some work.

-President Uchtdorf talked about how we are able to obtain mercy when we exercise it first on others. The Lord "will forgive whom [He] will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." (D&C 64:10) I've struggled at times to forgive others for harm or hurt caused to me, but i come to myself and realize how refreshing it is to get that dead weight off myself and forgive. However, sometimes forgiving myself for something dumb can be the hardest. But such a thought is stupid, because the Lord has by then forgiven me for things that i haven't for myself. It's part of what the Atonement is for.

-Elder O. Vincent Haleck of the Seventy talked about the vision of ourselves in the Gospel plan. I get frustrated occasionally because i can't see every little thing in my future that i would like, i.e. my future family, future education, future career, etc. Liked Paul stated, i "...see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Cor. 13:12) Not losing sight of the vision of who i am in the eternal plan and what i need to do, i keep on keepin' on trying to do what's right. "One does what one can", right?


Those are just a few, again, i hope i do not seem to slight any of the other awesome talks. But a lot of the talks pointed out weaknesses that i currently have. Now...that's not all totally bad. I mean, im not watching Conference going, "oh yeah, i suck at that too! go weaknesses!" No...but it's a good self-check. In Ether 12:27, it says:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

That's the point of all of this...i am weak, but that is because the Lord has a great way of humbling me, so that in the future my weaknesses will become strengths that could define me. It's hard. It's a bit of a pain in the butt. But it needs to happen. To close in the words of C.S. Lewis,

"The work of devils and of darkness is never more certain to be defeated than when men and women, not finding it easy or pleasant but still determined to do the Father's will, look out upon their lives from which it may seem every trace of God has vanished, and asking why they have been so forsaken, still bow their heads and obey."  (paraphrased from "The Screwtape Letters")




Overall....good weekend packed with spiritual goodness




2 comments:

  1. Thank you! It was wonderful to read these thoughts. :) Most of the talks seemed completely directed at me too, and yes, mostly about what I need to improve upon. Funny how it works that way, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, right??? it seems to happen every 6 months :)

    ReplyDelete